I am an Associate Professor of the Department of Computer Science and
Engineering at The Ohio State University. I am also affiliated with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of OSU.
- [May 2019]: I am on the PCs of NDSS 2020 and AsiaCCS 2020. Starting from this year, both of these conferences have multiple submission deadlines per year. Please submit your work.
- [May 2019]: My Ph.D. student Guoxing Chen has successfully defended his thesis and graduated. Congratulations, Dr. Chen!
- [Apr. 2019]: I have been early promoted after 4.5 years at OSU and will become a tenured Associate Professor in May 2019.
- [Apr. 2019]: I am truly honored to have received the Outstanding Teaching Award from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
- [Apr. 2019]: I am involved in SiMLA2019, HASP2019, and Hardware Security (a special issue of Cybersecurity). Please consider submitting your work.
- [Mar. 2019]: I have been recognized as one of the Most Influential Scholars in the field of Security and Privacy.
- [Feb. 2019]: I have received the Lumley Research Award from College of Engineering of The Ohio State University. I sincerely thank my colleagues for their recognition of my research accomplishments of the past four years!
- [Jan. 2019]: I will serve on the PC of CCS 2019 and S&P 2020.
- Spectre Attacks against Intel SGX
Media coverage: #sgxpectre, zdnet, trendmicro, techrepublic, theregister, securityonline, gbhackers, and others.
- Understanding serverless computing
Media coverage: Jaxenter
- iOS side channels
Vulnerability disclosure: CVE-2017-13852, CVE-2017-13873, CVE-2017-13877
Vendor responses: The issues identified in the paper have been acknowledged by Apple. Some countermeasures presented in the paper have been implemented in iOS 11 and MacOS High Sierra 10.13 and later versions (link).
- Cross-VM cryptographic side channels
Media coverage: HackerNews,
- Cloud co-residency detection
Media coverage: MIT Technology Review
Conference TPC member:
- IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy(S&P), 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020
- ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- USENIX Security Symposium, 2017
- Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- ACM Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), 2016, 2019, 2020
- ACM Cloud Computing Security Workshop (CCSW), 2015, 2016, 2017
- EAI International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks (Securecomm), 2016
- IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), 2016 (Distinguished TPC Member Award), 2017 (Distinguished TPC Member Award)
- IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom), 2015, 2016, 2018
- International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES), 2012, 2013
- International Conference on Cryptology And Network Security (CANS), 2017
- World Conference on Information Security Applications (WISA), 2017, 2018
- ACM Transactions on Information and System Security
- IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking
- IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
- IEEE Computer Architecture Letters
- International Journal of Information Security
- Internet Mathematics
- Journal of Computer Science and Technology
- Journal of Computers
- KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems
- ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 2012, 2013
- ACM Conference on Data and Application Security and Privacy (Codaspy), 2013
- Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2012
- The ACM Cloud Computing Security Workshop (CCSW), 2011
- Guoxing Chen (Ph.D., first job: Facebook)
- Asli Abokor (Undergraduate student)
- Bo Lu (Undergraduate student)
- Ziman Ling (Undergraduate student)
- Patrick Pastore (Undergraduate student)
I am also fortunate to have worked with these talented graduate
- Fangfei Liu (Princeton)
- Venkatanathan Varadarajan (U. Wisconsin)
- Qiuyu Xiao (UNC)
- Ziqiao Zhou (UNC)
- Tianwei Zhang (Princeton)