I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Ohio State University. I lead the Architecture Research Lab. Our research interests include computer architecture, energy efficient computing, reliability, variability and security. I received my Ph.D. from the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where I was a member of the IACOMA group working with Prof. Josep Torrellas. I was the recipient of a Lumley Award in 2014, an NSF CAREER award in 2012, Intel Foundation Fellowship for 2007-2008 and the W. J. Poppelbaum Award for 2008.
A high-level summary of my research has been published recently in the Spring 2013 CSE Newsletter. For more details and research updates please visit my group’s website. My NSF CAREER award titled An Integrated Treatment of Voltage Noise and Process Variability in Many-core and GPU Systems with Microarchitectural Solutions was featured on a College of Engineering announcement with a brief overview.
I am looking for bright and motivated students to join my research group. If you are interested in working with us send me an email or drop by my office.
- *new* Snatch: Opportunistically Reassigning Power Allocation between Processor and Memory in 3D Stacks, International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), October 2016
- *new* One Bit Flips, One Cloud Flops: Cross-VM Row Hammer Attacks and Privilege Escalation, USENIX Security'16, August 2016
- *new* EmerGPU: Understanding and Mitigating Resonance-Induced Voltage Noise in GPU Architectures, International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (ISPASS), April 2016
- *new* Core Tunneling: Variation-Aware Voltage Noise Mitigation in GPUs, International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), March 2016, nominated for Best Paper Award
- Authenticache: Harnessing Cache ECC for System Authentication, International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), December 2015, MICRO Top Picks 2015 honorable mention
- Using ECC Feedback to Guide Voltage Speculation in Low-Voltage Processors, International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), December 2014
- NVSleep: Using Non-Volatile Memory to Enable Fast Sleep/Wakeup of Idle Cores, IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), October 2014
- Dynamic Reduction of Voltage Margins by Leveraging On-chip ECC in Itanium II Processors, International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June 2013
- VRSync: Characterizing and Eliminating Synchronization-Induced Voltage Emergencies in Many-core Processors, International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June 2012
- Booster: Reactive Core Acceleration for Mitigating the Effects of Process Variation and Application Imbalance in Low-Voltage Chips, International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), February 2012
- StVEC: A Vector Instruction Extension for High Performance Stencil Computation, International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT), October 2011
- Parichute: Generalized Turbocode-Based Error Correction for Near-Threshold Caches, International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), December 2010
- Variation-Aware Application Scheduling and Power Management for Chip Multiprocessors, International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June 2008
- VARIUS: A Model of Parameter Variation and Resulting Timing Errors for Microarchitects, IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing (IEEE TSM), February 2008
- Mitigating Parameter Variation with Dynamic Fine-Grain Body Biasing, International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), December 2007
CSE6421 and CSE3421
I helped organize the Workshop on Near-threshold Computing (WNTC) held in conjunction with the International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO) 2012, Vancouver, Canada. Details on the WNTC website.
I was born in Cluj-Napoca, in the beautiful province of Transilvania in Romania. I received an Engineer Diploma from the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca in 2002.