- I'm teaching Machine Learning and Statistical Pattern Recognition (CSE5523) for Spring 2017.
- We (with Misha and Per as co-PIs) have won the OSU Translational Data Analytics Seed Grant 2017.
- I'm serving as workshop chair of ACML'17 with Krikamol Muandet.
- Our papers titled Enhancing Utility and Privacy with Noisy Minimax Filters and Crowd-ML: a Library for Privacy-preserving Machine Learning on Smart Devices will be presented at the ICASSP'17.
- Our paper titled "Fluid Dynamic Models for Bhattacharyya-based Discriminant Analysis" is accepted for IEEE TPAMI.
- We (with Misha as co-PI) have received a funding from OFRN-C4ISR titled "Human-centered Big Data", representing OSU in the multi-university team of researchers.
- I'm on the program committee of PMPML'16.
- Gordon's paper titled "A large-scale study in predictability of daily activities and places" is accepted for Mobicase'16.
- I'm on the program committee of AISTATS'17.
- I'm on the program committee of AAAI'17.
- I'm teaching CSE5522 (AI2) for AU16. The course website is on Carmen.
- We published the open source code on GitHub for differentially private crowd-based machine learning. The codes are loosely based on the ICDCS'15 paper.
- I published the open source code on GitHub for Geodesic Registration on Anatomical Manifolds which appeared in MedIA'10.
- Our paper titled "Learning Privately from Multiparty Data" is accepted for ICML'16 (link).
- I've received Google Internet of Things (IoT) Technology Research Award 2016.
- I'm on the program committee of ICML 2016.
- News from 2015 and earlier...
All aspects of Machine Learning. In particular, learning algorithms for large distributed systems such as Internet of Things, and high-dimensional/structured data such as medical images. Specific topics include the following:
- Privacy-Preserving Machine Learning
- Nonlinear Dimensionality Reduction and Manifold Learning
- Learning with Partially Ordered Data
- Medical Image Analysis and Computational Anatomy
- Automated Facial Expression Analysis
More about me
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 2008
- M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Seoul National University, 2001
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University, 1997
Awards and scholarships
- Google Internet of Things (IoT) Technology Research Pilot Award (PI), 2016
- Google Faculty Research Award (PI), "Privacy-Preserving Machine Learning for Smart Devices," 2015-16
- Finalist for MICCAI Young Scientist Publication Impact Award, 2013
- MedIA-MICCAI Best Journal Paper Award, 2010
- Departmental Research Fellowship, 2002 - 2008
- University Merit Scholarship, 1998 - 2001
Teaching and advising
- CSE 3521/5521: Survey of Artificial Intelligence I: Basic Techniques. The course homepage is hosted on Carmen.
- CSE 5522: Survey of Artificial Intelligence II: Advanced Techniques. The course homepage is hosted on Carmen.
- CSE 5523: Machine Learning and Statistical Pattern Recognition. The course homepage is hosted on Carmen.
- If you are a student interested in machine learning or AI-related projects, please send me your CV.
Program Committee and Invited Reviewer:
Neural Information Processing System (NIPS),
International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML),
Artificial Intelligence and Statistics Conference (AISTATS),
Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI),
Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR),
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI),
IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (TNN),
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (TIP),
IEEE Transactions for Information Forensics and Security (TIFS),
Neural Networks (NN),
Pattern Recognition (PR),
International Journal of Pattern Recognition (IJPR),
Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI),
Medical Image Analysis (MedIA).